Kanchana Mendis Back From England And Her Second Marriage -1

Q: When did you return to Sri Lanka,Kanchana?

A: On Sunday, 5 July.

Q: Was your sudden visit here, to participate in the Sumathi Awards?
A: No, my son got his summer holidays and so I had already decided to come.

Q: You were short listed for Best Actress at the Raigam Awards but did not attend the ceremony.
A: It was in June when my son was at school in England.

Q: You must have had hopes of winning an award isn't it?
A: I had rave reviews locally and in England for my performance in Girikula. What I am sad about is the jury did not appreciate the fact.

Q: Is that sour grapes?

A: I am not a full time actress now so I am not affected. However, some of my friends in the industry were disappointed.

Q: You were bypassed at not only the Sumathi Awards but also at the Raigam Awards. Your comments?
A: Yes, but the award was won by Chandani who is a talented actress and whom I love a lot. So there's no dispute about it.








Q: In that case possibly the fault lies in the new generation actress Thisuri getting an award. Is it that you are angry about it?
A: Anybody can question and criticize the characters nominated. However the judges make the decision which is abiding. I am thankful for the comments that our fans, critics and veterans made about our characters.

Q: Did you wish Thisuri?

A: I didn't get the opportunity.

Q: Nevertheless isn't Girikula an unforgettable teledrama in your life?
A: Yes, I acted in it whilst I was pregnant with my daughter. There was the final scene where I had to climb up a mountain and the director was very concerned about me. We managed to very carefully film the scene. It was the last teledrama I did before leaving the country.



Q: Not only you but Sudath Rohana who directed Girikula was not given an award either.
A: Yes, it is disappointing.

Q: When do we next see you in a production?

A: I will not be accepting any work because I am here on a short holiday.

Q: When are you leaving?

A: At the end of August.

Q: Then will you be giving up acting?

A: No, if I get a good role I will act in it.

Q: Does your husband Roshan approve of it?

A: He doesn't mind.

Q: If you return who will look after the children?

A: I hope to get my mother down.


READ MORE FOR KANCHANA MENDIS'S SECOND WEDDING


Q: As an actress in Sri Lanka you led a very sociable life but in England are you secluded?
A: No, I don't feel the time fly because my family takes up all of my time.

Most Popular Actor Kavinga Perera

 Kavinga Perera who won the Most Popular Actor, Sumathi Award, speaks to Thilini Kawshalya Wijesinghe

Q: Kavinga, now, you too are the recipient of an award at the Sumathi Awards Festival. How do you feel about your achievement?
A: I am thrilled to win the award and the hearts of my fans.

Q: It has taken you nine years in the industry to win your first award. Why did it take you so long?
A: There is a time for everything and my fans must have waited till now to vote me as the Most Popular Actor.

Q: You were nominated twice before for this same award, had you given up hope?
A: I don't expect awards but I do justice to the roles I am given to play. I feel I won this award because I am close to people.

Q: Does one get awarded for the way in which one gets along with people as well?
A: I had some good mentors when I entered the acting arena. They told me not to consider being an actor, too seriously. I have always had my feet firmly planted on the ground. I always chat with my fans, wherever I am. All this must be why my fans nominated me as Most Popular Actor.

Q: Apparently it is possible to win the Most Popular Actor Award by spending lavishly. Do you accept this Kavinga?
A: I am not aware about the validity of this assertion.

Q: Did you spend lavishly this time?

A: I have not spent money on getting people to send SMS messages on my behalf. I can be honestly proud that I have won this award with the love of my fans.

Q: Do you select various roles after handpicking them or do you take what comes your way?
A: I try to portray the role I am given, to the best of my ability.

Q: Don't you think you belong somewhere ahead of the Most Popular Actor slot?
A: I feel this award is the sign of better things to come.

Q: Kavinga, do you feel you deserve to win the Best Actor Award?
A: Those in the industry have said that I could make it so it means I have to be prepared to make sacrifices and work hard.

Q: Of the roles you have played so far are there any that you expect ought to win the Most Popular Actor award?
A: Yes. I have hopes in my role as Randiva in the teledrama Diyaniyo and my role in Anguru Siththam.

Q: You don't seem to have as much opportunity on the silver screen as you do on the small screen?
A: I will get the opportunity to star in the silver screen at the right time.

Q: Do you think you are successful as a programme presenter?
A: I have studied programme presenting and am yet doing so. I feel I am successful as a presenter.

Q: Is there that special someone in your life? Please, say the truth.
A: I have to think of my sister as my father is dead. After she is settled down, I will think about myself.

Shalini Wins Two Sumathi Awards

Shalani wins Most Popular Actress and Upcoming Actress Award at the Sumathi Awards and speaks to Thilini Kawshalya Wijesinghe

Q: You won two prized awards at the Sumathi Award ceremony?
A: Yes, I won the awards for Most Popular Actress and Upcoming Actress.

Q: It took a long time of being in the field to win an award isn't it?
A: Yes, I had given up all hopes of winning an award.

Q: Did you lose hope because you didn't win or because you didn't like to win?
A: I was nominated Most Popular Actress for five years running and since I didn't win the award I gave up all hopes. I was surprised to know I had won not one but two awards.

Q: You are aware that some gain the Most Popular slot by manipulating SMSs. Did you resort to this as well?
A: I don't have the money and also I have better things to do. I am happy that I won the award with my conscience clear.

Q: Shalani, you must have been disappointed with local award ceremonies. But are you pleased with these awards, now?
A: Actually I was rather disappointed, but now that I have won awards for both popularity and ability I am satisfied.

Q: Winning the award for the Upcoming Actress will pave the way for winning the award for Best Actress some day, won't it?
A: Yes, I aspire to win the award for Best Actress within the next two or three years.

Q: You have given yourself a time limit haven't you?

A: I might or might not win the award but I will try to do my best and then even if I don't win the award if people rave over my performance I will be satisfied.

Q: Have you got such feedback so far?

A: Yes, I have been praised for my roles in the teledramas LevelIvarai and Seeka Teams.

Q: Do you think, in the future, you may leave the field of acting?
A: I might stop acting once I get married to look after my husband and children.

Q: Is it true that you are expensive?

A: I work only if the amount I ask for is met, because there are sacrifices to be made in acting.

Q: Are there directors who fit your bill Shalani?

A: Yes, I work with those who value me.

Q: Such opportunities are rare in the silver screen aren't they?
A: It looks like the teledrama industry is more lucrative because the cinema in Sri Lanka doesn't give local talent a place.

Q: Does Shalani have a significant other?
A: I have told my family to find someone for me and when they do I hope to settle down.

Popular Posts